An expanded version of this demo is available on request.
Thomas C. Patton
· Owner of Broad Reach Communications, providing content for new and legacy media organizations. Ongoing clients include “Aero-News.net” and “The Jacksonville Observer”. Freelance journalist. Host of “The Jacksonville Observer Radio Show” Wednesday’s at 5:00 pm on ABC1320, WBOB.
· Key representative of WJCT Public Radio and Television in the local market. 8 years representing the station as lead on-air talent for local programming on radio and television. 5+ years representing the station in public appearances.
· Over 20 years in radio station management positions ranging from news to programming to overall station oversight. Responsibilities included strategy, capital and operating budgets, personnel recruitment and management, content creation and operations management.
· Managed creation of local programming content ranging from news, news magazine, special issue format, long-form interview, and panel discussion. This programming helped secure funding from local corporate and government sources, as well as individual donations. Acted as primary presenter for much of that content.
· Guided WJCT-FM through a period of substantial audience and fundraising growth. Total cumulative audience grew nearly 75 percent. Working closely with Development staff, met and sometimes exceeded direct on-air fundraising goals which increased nearly 100 percent.
· Supported Development staff as lead air talent during radio pledge drives, providing motivation for staff and donors during critical slow periods during fundraising.
· Managed creation of the nationally-syndicated program “C-SPAN’s Weekly Radio Journal”. Acted as producer, executive producer, and host. Marketed the program to public radio stations nationwide.
· Participated in content negotiations on behalf of C-SPAN with satellite radio companies.
· Participated in acquisition and development of WCSP-FM for C-SPAN. Involved in market research, program development, studio and infrastructure development, and determination of initial personnel requirements.
· Managed C-SPAN Online presence. Led development of C-SPAN audio and video content offerings with Real Networks. Led development of website re-design with contract web designers.
· Managed interstitial information content for a European audience on VOA Europe. Researched, wrote, produced, and presented original content for the service.
Thomas C. Patton
Professional Communicator who expands on themes and is more than a sound bite.
Accomplished award-winning news professional. Polished on-air talent on television and radio who is always even handed. Extensive experience in radio station management, including content creation, program, and personnel management and departmental budgets. Solid newsroom experience in assignments, writing, editing, and departmental budgets. Strong writer and public speaker. Demonstrated skills in leadership, team building and strategic planning Proven ability to analyze and synthesize complex data.
WJCT, Jacksonville, FL 2000 – 2008
FM Station Manager/Program Director 2004 –2008
FM News Director 2000 – 2004
Hired to created WJCT-FM’s 4-person news department following a format change to offer ongoing spot news, city council and school board coverage. Worked with television programmers, producers and local Community Advisory Board.
· Managed local and network radio programs, increasing cumulative audience 75%.
· Hosted weekly AP-award-winning public affairs program “Week in Review”, quarterly issues program “First Coast Forum”, and numerous political debates on radio and television resulting in over 400 weekly programs. Friday and Saturday programming reached 5,000 TV households per week.
· Developed a comprehensive 5 year plan for radio station growth, 80% of which was completed ahead of schedule.
· Coached and led air talent for on-air fundraising, increasing contributions nearly 100% and contributing to $150K fundraising goals.
· Managed WJCT-FM’s $500,000 departmental budget. Negotiated with national program suppliers attaining a 10-15% reduction in national program costs.
· Developed content agreements with the Florida Times Union and Jacksonville Business Journal to supply daily news content. Provided technical assistance for submission.
· Reported and presented hundreds of spot news and feature length stories. Extensive reporting on Jacksonville City Government and state legislature.
Selected feature stories:
EPA Mediation on Brown’s Dump
36 Hours onboard USS Kennedy
Archeological Dig in St. Augustine
Georgia Public Broadcasting (Peach State Public Radio) Atlanta, GA 1998 –2000
News Director for 14 station state-wide public radio network.
· Managed a 5 person news department, winning a Georgia AP “Pacemaker” award for Outstanding News Operation”.
· Assigned stories for daily spot news and weekly features.
· Hosted a weekly one-hour radio magazine program and a monthly radio call-in program.
· Conducted 30 minute live and pre-recorded interviews.
Presidential Candidate Senator John McCain
Former President Jimmy Carter
Official Ronald Reagan Biographer Edmund Morris
C-SPAN, the Cable-Satellite Public Affairs Network, Washington, DC 1994 – 1998
New and Alternate Media Manager.
· Managed C-SPAN’s non-cable-television content streams.
· Researched, wrote, produced, hosted, and marketed weekly syndicated radio program “C-SPAN’s Weekly Radio Journal”, increasing carriage to 70 public radio stations nationwide. Winner of a New York Radio Arts Festivals Bronze Medal in the “Best Public Affairs” category.
· Oversaw C-SPAN’s 3-person online department to develop online presence and cutting edge multimedia content.
Early Career Experience
Program Producer “C-SPAN’s Weekly Radio Journal” C-SPAN Washington, DC.
Feature Producer, Air Talent. VOA Europe, Washington, DC.
Program Director, Morning Show Host WBEX-AM / WKKJ-FM Chillicothe, OH.
Operations Manager, Board Operator, Technician. KTMS Santa Barbara ,CA.
Program Director, Morning Show Host, Board Operator, WBIW-AM / WBIF-FM Bedford, IN.
BA, Telecommunications, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
Awards and Credits
2003: Associated Press “Best Public Affairs” award for “Week in Review”.
2002: Associated Press “Best Use of Sound” award for “Kennedy at Sea” feature.
1998: Associated Press “Pacemaker” award for outstanding news operation in Georgia.
1996 – 1997: Three USA Today “Hot Site” awards for C-SPAN Online.
1992: New York Radio Arts Festival Bronze Medal for “C-SPAN’s Weekly Radio Journal” in “Best Public Affairs Program” category.
1989: New York Radio Arts Festival producer credit for Gold Medal Winner “Voices of America”.
2008-2009 Jacksonville Community Council Inc. Marketing Committee Consultant (Pro Bono), City Budget Study
2008-2009 Jacksonville Regional Chamber of Commerce. Legislative Affairs Committee.
2008 Debate Panelist NAACP Local Candidates Forum.
2008 Moderator National Geography Bee State Finals.
2007,2008 Panel Moderator Much Ado About Books.
2007,2008 Master of Ceremonies New York Short Film Festival Jacksonville Screening.
2004 Master of Ceremonies World Affairs Council “WorldQuest”.
Related Computer Skills
Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher, Photo Editor. Adobe Audition (audio editing), Windows Live Writer (blogging). Windows Movie Maker (video editing). Paint.net (photo editing).
1999 Ronald Reagan Biographer Edmund Morris
1999 Arizona Senator and Presidential Candidate John McCain
2002 Former U.S. Attorney General and Florida Gubernatorial Candidate Janet Reno
2003 Outgoing Jacksonville Mayor John Delaney
2003 Incoming Jacksonville Mayor John Peyton
2004 Archbishop Desmond Tutu
2008 Florida Governor Charlie Crist
Other Guests of Note
U.S Congressman Ander Crenshaw
Former U.S. Senator Bob Graham
City Council President Alberta Hipps
City Council President Jerry Holland
City Council President Lad Daniels
City Council President Matt Carlucci
City Council President Elaine Brown
City Council President Kevin Hyde
City Council President Michael Corrigan
City Council President Daniel Davis
Jacksonville Sheriff John Rutherford
St. Johns Riverkeeper Neil Armingeon